Brush Letter Like A Pro!
Lately I have been dipping my toes into brush lettering waters thinking it would be easy or easier than the pointed pen (oh, contraire). Honestly, I spent many an afternoon wanting to pull my hair out. I realized with brush lettering, not having a set in stone outcome is the best way for me to enjoy the process, there’s definitely not as much control as pointed pen and the media to get there– the brush, paper, inks, gouaches etc., all seem to have a better idea of outcome than I do. It truly feels like a ‘go with the flow’ technique and once you do things do fall into place. If you have wanted to try this medium but didn’t know where to start, what supplies to get, etc. or if you have been doing it for awhile and wanted to pick up a few techniques, or like me are feeling frustrated, then we have a serious treat for you! This week will be dedicated to Brush Lettering, we will have giveaways: classes, supplies, tools and tons of lettering artist secrets revealed! This is going to be a very special week, we hope you join us!
To launch this week off with a bang, we're talking about brush lettering darling Jenny Highsmith's e-course. If you search Pinterest for brush lettering chances are one of Jenny’s pieces will pop up in your feed (that’s how I found her!) She is beloved on Instagram with her monthly lettering challenges and is just an overall lovely lady! The e-course includes 10 videos, tons of examples, and 15 guided activities. In these 9 Lessons + 2 BONUS lessons you’ll learn:
- The basics of lettering
- What tools we recommend
- Guidance on finding inspiration
- How to develop a style that is your own
- The how-to’s of lettering and modern calligraphy
- Adding flourishes with style
- An in-depth look at Jenny’s style and rules
- Tips and tricks for laying out your lettering
- Putting it all together with your own artwork
— PLUS —
- A step-by-step guide in how to digitize lettering for print
- Tips on adding illustration to your lettering
- Extra linked resources, tool suggestions, books, and websites